Sep 20, 2008

No more binky!


I did it! I took Cooper's binky away. Hooray! It's been about 10 days since the last time he had his binky and he's actually doing very well with out it. For those of you who don't know, my kid was attached to his binky like it was another appendage. I had tried giving it to him only when he went to bed or took naps, but he couldn't be fooled. I had also tried taking it away completely a few times, but I always gave in when he pleaded with me. It was funny how much he would settle down if I gave him his binky (I miss that). Anyway, the thing that finally decided it for me was when I noticed Cooper was chewing on it and putting holes in it. After that I gathered them all up and locked them in a cupboard when Coop wasn't looking. When he asked for it I would show him the empty container that used to hold all his binkys. When he saw that they weren't there and I told him they were all gone he just kind of shrugged and went off to play. This continued for a couple of days and then he stopped asking for it all together. So, Cooper is officially off the binky. Hooray! The only problem is that the little boy I watch during the week still has a binky and I've caught Cooper in the corner with the baby's binky a few times. Other than that, all is well. :)

5 comments:

Bon said...

yeah cooper! i can't exactly do that with Tuck since his is his thumb! I don't mind it too much, I'm just saving for braces!

The Hanchetts said...

Congrats, Ash!!! That's a great accomplishment!

Bethany said...

Wow, I know that must take a lot of patience. Ethan wouldn't ever take a binky, except occasionally for like, a minute, when he was newborn. I often thought it would be nice if he could, to soothe himself, but I guess I should be grateful I don't have to wean him off one, right? He's never had a bottle, either, but I'll still have to wean him from me!

Erin said...

Good Job!! I know weening them can be hard, but I still wish Ellie would take her binkie! That dang girl. Yay for you guys.

Terilyn said...

Yeah Cooper and Yeah Mom. No one but us knows how hard it is to listen to an unhappy child when you have the power to make him happy! Way to stick with it and make it good. On to bigger things now - they just won't stop growing, you know!