Mar 11, 2009

Adventures in Wonderland

In the 3rd grade my class put on a small production of "Alice in Wonderland" and I was chosen to play the part of Alice. For those of you laughing because you know I have no acting ability whatsoever I'll tell you the truth: they cast me as Alice because they thought my hair looked like hers. Go figure. Anyway, after yesterday I can relate a lot more to the character.

It started as an ordinary day. I took Cooper and the little boy I baby-sit to the park to play. When we got back I realized the garbage needed to be taken out, so I gathered it up and told Cooper to wait while I threw the garbage into the bin in the garage. Big mistake. I had thrown the garbage away and was headed back to the garage door that leads into the house when I heard a noise at the door. It took me half a second before I realized that it was Cooper on the other side sliding the deadbolt into place. I ran to the door and grabbed the handle yelling "noooooooo!" at the top of my lungs. Too late. I was locked out of the house with no way in. No keys. No phone. In the hot garage. Both boys in the house. I felt like Alice being dropped down the rabbit hole. I started banging on the door and yelling for Cooper to let me in. I mean, if he locked the deadbolt surely he can unlock it right? Nope. My hollering scared him and he ran off to some other part of the house.

Now, there was a part of my brain that told me to stop yelling and talk to Cooper. That part of my brain realized I was scaring him and that he wouldn't come to the door until I calmed down. However, that part of my brain was the much smaller part somewhere in the back of my head. The much larger front part of my brain was busy chanting: I'm locked in the garage. I'm locked in the garage. So, when the rational part of my brain realized I wasn't going to calm down anytime soon (by the way I blame my freak out on the pregnancy hormones - those things are wicked) it told me to say a prayer. Once I was able to do that I suddenly remembered the living room window around the back of the house was most likely unlocked. Unfortunately, this is not the first time I've been locked out of the house. It is, however, the first time I was locked out by my two-year-old. Anyway, the last time we were locked out our friend broke in through our living room window and let us in. (Thanks, Josh!)

So, being 9 months pregnant I ran around to the back of the house and managed to get the living room window open and crawl inside. The picture to the left is an old one, but it shows the window I crawled through (it's the one closest to the door). When I got inside Cooper was hiding under our dining room table and Andrew was looking at me like I was crazy. They were both completely fine and the whole ordeal lasted less than 10 minutes. I just wish someone could have taped me crawling through the window with my belly bump, because I must have looked absolutely ridiculous.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I seriously just laughed my head off...not because it happened, it brought back memories. Justun locked me out when he was two years old. Same thing, no keys, phone or anything. He was bawling because he was all by himself. I went to a neighbor and borrowed his phone(which he looked at my like I had a disfuncional child). I tried calling Brandon to ask if he was close to being home with his key, but he didn't answer so I had to call the cops and eventually they came but they had gotten lost so it took FOREVER! They were about to break a window but ended up not having to because the cop called my husband and after all that he told me he had hidden a house key in the back yard...good thing he told me BEFORE i needed it!!!

Chantel said...

so funny girl. I cannot believe you. That is hilarious. Glad you documented it. Its definitely something you will want to remember later. You're getting close to the end of your pregnancy!! EXCITING!!

Erin said...

You know, I always hear these stories from people with toddlers and I just can't wait for my day to come! Haha.

Ashley said...

Melani - I'm glad I'm not the only one! That's too funny that your husband had hidden a key. I think I'm going to have to do that . . .

Chantel - You would have laughed your head off if you could have seen me crawl thru that window! :)

Erin - I totally thought something like that would never happen to me. Two year olds are great at humbling people. :)

Marisa and Rob said...

That is too funny Ashley!!! :) I have not experinced that yet, and I hope not too....knock on wood. :)Amirra cries if I just step outside for a second, so I hope it won't happen. I would have loved to see a picture of you crawling in the window with your 9 month belly :-) So what did Randy do when he heard :)

Bethany said...

That is always something I dread-- being locked out of my own house! Even when I take Ethan on stroller rides, I check twice, if not three times, to make sure my keys are in the stroller. Good thing the whole ordeal didn't last long!

The Cutest Allens Ever! said...

This makes me love little boys more!! That is too funny! I would have loved to see that on tape!:) you are one Super Mom!:).....by the way how is your hair? How is the color holding up? Do you still like it?