May 20, 2008

Me and my shadow


I've been told many times how children's minds are like sponges, soaking up everything they see and hear. Everything. I knew that. I just never realized how closely your children watch you. It's very intimidating. Cooper is literally my little shadow. He follows me around the house while I'm cleaning and doing chores and bring his toys into whatever room I happen to be in at the time. He loves to read and he's always mimicking my hand gestures and sounds. I caught him today sitting in his high chair staring at me and trying to mimic the expression that was on my face. He loves to go into our bathroom and pretend he's shaving like his dad. It's so cute! He even uses q-tips to clean his ears like his father does. It's hilarious. The other day I was putting Cooper's toy golf clubs away and Randy said something that irked me so I started to poke him with one of the golf clubs. Well, Cooper was watching us and he came over with a golf club of his own and started poking Randy, too. Randy wasn't too happy with me after Cooper hit him in the face with his golf club. Sorry, honey! I feel like I'm playing that horribly annoying shadow game from grade school, only instead of it being annoying it's very enlightening. It's made me very aware of my actions to see my little one-year-old imitating them. Hopefully, he'll pick up more good things than bad!

4 comments:

abby said...

I can definitely relate. My favorite (not) is when Milo says things like, "Dang it!" It certainly seems a lot worse coming out of a 2-year-old's mouth.

Marisa and Rob said...

Yes I know how that is! Amirra is not at that stage yet of doing what I do, but she does follow me EVERYWHERE!!!! Sometimes, I just have to put her in the crib to play so I can get something done!! :) But I sure do love her! :) We need to get together sometime.

Bon said...

Gracie says dangit too! And she also has said "I swear child..."

Jenny said...

Ashley, this is Jenny Elliott. We were roommates in the towers fall term of 2002. You've changed a little bit, so I am not sure if this is even you but let me know, email me at jennylou1182@yahoo.com
I kind of ran across your blog while I was surfing around on a relatives page. Email me!!